Well, in the end I got fed up trying to sort this Vista problem out. I spent 2 hours on the phone to Microsoft and they couldn’t figure out what was going on. Finally someone in their MSDN deptartment thought it may be because our volume license agreement was due for renewal, but the admin girl where I work said it wasn’t due to another month yet. Despite all this, I find it quite shocking that license keys get revoked just because an agreement is due for renewal so I can’t help thinking that something else was going on here – I just couldn’t get to the bottom of it though as I was passed from pillar to post.
The MSDN guys couldn’t fix it and told me to call support. Support couldn’t authorise the key so they told me to contact the product activation centre. The product activation centre couldn’t activate it because it was an MSDN key, so they told me to call MSDN. MSDN couldn’t fix it and told me to call support…. you get the picture.
So until the volume license agreement gets renewed, I’ve installed XP on a second hard disk and just left Vista festering away on it’s own. I’ll revist it after the agreement has been renewed and take it from there, or if I can figure out how to migrate all my email from Vista’s Windows Mail into XP’s Outlook Express, I may just stick with XP! 🙂